Mount Compass Area School
Our school is located 59 Kms from Adelaide GPO. It is centrally placed on the Fleurieu Peninsula being approximately equidistant from Strathalbyn, Goolwa, Port Elliot, Victor Harbor, Yankalilla, Aldinga and McLaren Vale.
Mount Compass Area School has been at its present site since 1934. It became an Area School in 1962. Rapid enrolment increases in the 1980’s saw a redevelopment of the school and the addition of Year 12 in 1988. It is now a comprehensive community school with significant numbers of students enrolled from neighbouring districts.
The State Government’s STEM initiative has provided a state-of-the-art Science and Technology facility to be opened in 2019. Mount Compass Area School students have the privilege of a highly accomplished team of Science, Mathematics and Technology teachers and the provision of this new facility will create the domain for innovative and collaborative learning experiences for both students and staff.
The State Government’s Capital Works Program’ initiative will complete the re-building program with the removal of all timber-framed buildings and to be replaced with new modern facilities. This funding is based on demographic data which aims to provide modern learning facilities in growth-schools across South Australia.
The first school, with Miss Cameron of Sellicks Hill as its first teacher, opened the doors of the Roadman’s Cottage on 3 July 1899. Nine students enrolled on the first day, another by the end of the first week, and another two a few weeks later. Miss Cameron walked to the school from Sellicks Hill in time for school on Monday mornings, and returned on foot after school closed on Friday afternoons. Presumably, she brought with her enough reference books and materials to enable her to do the job. After four years in the wattle and daub building, the school moved to a substantial stone structure further south along the Victor Harbor road. As numbers increased, it became obvious that the time had come to establish a school that would be used specifically for the purpose. In 1934 the red brick structure on School Road was built and the 51 students moved in in July 1934. Half of them faced to the front of the room and took their instruction from the teacher while the other half faced the back and continued with their set work.
There was another period of strong growth in numbers during the 1950s and towards the end of that decade School Committee members lobbied on behalf of others in the community for a secondary component and Mount Compass School became an Area School in 1962. The school made another leap forward in 1988 with the introduction of Year 12. Since then numbers have continued to increase, and students have continued to be successful. The school looks forward with enthusiasm to the challenges and opportunities for the next one hundred years.
Mt Compass School Boardwalk
In 2014 the Mount Compass School Boardwalk underwent a major upgrade thanks to a project funded by the SA Murray-Darling Basin Natural Resources Management Board through the Australian Government Biodiversity Fund, and a State Government Natural Resources Management Community grant. The 500 metre long boardwalk has been rejuvenated and had reinforcements made to the majority of its length, with a mix of new and recycled boards. New information signs have been installed to provide additional details about the history and importance of the Fleurieu Swamps and the Mt Lofty Ranges Southern Emu Wren.
The improvements to the boardwalk have coincided with the development of the swamp as an out-door learning space that is managed by the school and monitored through our Swamp Ambassadors program. This program appoints students as the ‘keepers’ of the swamp. Students and teachers have developed and implemented learning opportunities, not only for our students but also local schools and visiting groups.
This location will become the STEM focus for an environmental sustainability initiative led by our school community.
We Are Providing an Environment for Our Students to Grow & Excel
- 4 hectare heritage wetland area with environmental boardwalk and interpretative centre
- 30 hectare Agricultural Studies focus farm – pasture management project
- Beef cattle stud and small fine-timber forest
- Resource centre
- Curriculum ICT network with broadband internet access for all students
- Computer room
- Media Studies suite with specialist facilities for photography, digital imaging and movie-making
- Two science laboratories
- Multi-purpose gymnasium facility
- School bus service
- STEM facility being constructed during 2018.
A Message From
We aim to develop students to be lifelong learners who are persistent in their learning, confident in their abilities, resilient to the challenges life brings to them and connected to the community and world around them.